If you haven’t had enough of the Disney phenomenon and your little one is begging for more, this Frozen playdough is a great way to give them something to do instead of just sitting in front of the movie. It’s great for an afternoon of indoor play or a perfect Frozen birthday party favor!
Benefits of Frozen Playdough for Kids
Homemade playdough isn’t just fun for kids, but it offers a lot of benefits to their growth and development.
Playing with this Frozen playdough (or any recipe) has been known to:
- Increase retention of important concepts in children
- Help with social and emotional development
- Foster fine motor skills and eye-hand coordination
- Encourage creativity and imagination
Increase retention of important concepts
Play dough is a safe toy that most kids enjoy playing with. It comes in lots of shapes, colors and scents. While playing with playdough, kids’ minds are reinforced about shapes, colors, and letters.
Social and emotional development
Kids love to play together when there is lots of Frozen playdough at the table for everyone to share. This supports communication and the ability to cooperate with their peers. Plus, they can discuss what they are building and complement each other on their creativity!
Playdough can also help with emotional development of children. When children are playing they are usually smiling and having fun. If a child is sad and anxious, play dough can be a great tool for relaxing the child and allowing them to express themselves in an artistic way.
Foster fine motor skills and eye-hand coordination
When children are sticking the play dough together, they are developing fine motor skills which comes in handy for helping them hold writing utensils later on. This activity helps with hand eye coordination and helps them learn about how to control their hands.
Encourage creativity and imagination
You never know what a child may bring to life when they are manipulating this Frozen playdough. We have made snowmen like Olaf, trolls like the ones that raised Kristoff, and carrots for Sven.
Let the child have a ball of playdough and the freedom to see what their imagination helps them create.
Frozen Playdough Recipe & Activity
As you can see, parents will WANT their kids to play with playdough whenever possible because of the wonderful learning and growth development benefits it provides.
The fact that this version just happens to be perfectly matched to everyone’s favorite movie Frozen and creates an ideal backdrop for the characters is just a bonus. The fresh and bright wintergreen scent is perfect for a wintery scene and is stimulating for your child’s mind. So, let’s get crafty!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Wintergreen essential oil
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- blue glitter
- Combine dry ingredients flour, salt, and cream of tartar in stand mixer (or mix by hand, this just saves you having to knead the hot play dough)
- Add water and mix until well combined, if the dough is still sticky add a bit more flour until the consistency is smooth and holds together well.
- Add blue glitter and wintergreen essential oil until the scent and sparkle are to your liking.
- Mix on low for an additional 2 minutes, until it begins to cool.
- Provide your child with cookie cutters, a rolling pin, figurines, buttons, shells or other items to manipulate with the play dough.
Our favorite for this homemade play dough are these small Frozen characters.
Cookie cutters are also a fun addition for wintery play. It’s an easy way for kids to manipulate the Frozen playdough into the perfect shapes every time!
Frozen Cookie Cutters
Frozen Kids Activities
If your children love this Frozen playdough recipe, they are bound to like our other versions:
Are you still Frozen-obsessed? Have you made homemade playdough before?